It’s not just about food…
It’s not just about food…It’s about what you put on your skin, what you wash your clothes with and what you use to clean.
This became no more certainly apparent than this past weekend when the manager of a pub in the neighboring town of Burlington, Massachusetts was overcome with toxic fumes and died as a result.
He was a thirty-two year old man, a new father and his life was snuffed out by toxic chemicals.
When I first read about it, the report was that he was cleaning the floor with bleach when the chemical accident occurred. My fear was that he had inadvertently mixed the bleach with ammonia which creates toxic chloramine fumes.
When I read this, I remembered one time in my chemistry class when our teacher, who was endearing but a bit inept, accidentally mixed chemicals during class. I think there was residue on a beaker, so when she added something else, she cleared not only our classroom but the entire high school, fire engines arrived…you get the picture.
I’ve been following the story as I wanted to write about it, but also wanted to know what actually happened before I did write.
“An accidental mix of cleaners — acid and bleach — generated toxic fumes that killed the manager of a Buffalo Wild Wings in Massachusetts, authorities said Friday.”
One authority on the subject said, “”Bleach by itself shouldn’t be deadly,” said Rick Sachleben, a retired organic chemist and member of the American Chemical Society. “However when it’s a mixed with incompatible chemicals, it can generate toxic gasses and that’s probably what happened here.”
He said millions of homes and businesses across America use these cleaning agents that are perfectly safe when properly used — and potentially harmful if combined.
I question the use of the words “perfectly safe”. There are so many ingredients in products we use every day that we assume are “perfectly safe” when they truly are not.
I challenge you for starters, to go through everything you own: shampoo, hand wash, body wash, dish detergent, laundry detergent, skin lotion, household cleaners and so on. Check the ingredient labels for sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate and triclosan just to get started. When you find them, and I’m sure you will, I implore you to get rid of them and replace them with products that will not do you harm. These ingredients I mentioned are at their most benign, hormone disruptors.
When you do the “digging” I’ve been doing into these issues for the past seven plus years, the enormity of the deception and the untruths we are told in the name of corporate profit is staggering.
You cannot depend on any government agency to protect you; you must learn what is the truth so you can protect yourself and your family.
Please! Begin by checking everything in your household for those three ingredients. At least that’s a start. By the way, be sure to check your toothpaste for the ingredient “triclosan”. When it was banned from other soaps, it was still allowed to be used in your Colgate Total toothpaste!
You should not find triclosan anywhere anymore, but sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate still abound! Remember…although food is a big part of better health, it’s not just about food!
How may I serve you in your quest for optimal mental and physical health?
Cheryl A Major
Cheryl A Major lives in Westford and is a Certified Nutrition and Wellness Consultant. Her TV show, Thin Strong Healthy, airs on WestfordCat and is an offshoot of her blog http://ThinStrongHealthy.com Cheryl offers ongoing information, live and online courses and personal health coaching to help you feel better and be healthier. Follow Cheryl on Twitter @CherylAMajor. She is also a full time residential Realtor with Coldwell Banker with more than 25 years experience.
Cheryl’s book, Eat Your Blues Away is available now on Amazon in both Kindle and paperback and will be available this January in Whole Foods Markets. She is busy writing her next book, The Major Method!