Lentil Bean Veggie Burgers
- 1 15 oz. can organic great northern beans
- 1 15 oz. can organic pinto beans
- 1/2 cup red lentiils (dry)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 baby portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsps diced garlic (or fresh if available)
- garlic powder
- dried onion flakes
- Himalayan sea salt
- Organic white pepper
- Organic dried dill
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 16 oz carton low salt organic vegetable broth
- Organic baby spinach (chopped)
- Anchovy paste and anchovies (optional)
- Saute onions and mushrooms in olive oil in a large skillet (I prefer cast iron )
- Deglaze with a small amount of white wine.
- If using anchovies, add them now
- Add garlic and spices
- Add beans, lentils and 1 cup of veggie broth
- Cover and let simmer. Add more broth as needed and as the lentils absorb the liquid
- When the lentils are soft, add chopped spinach
- To Make Burgers:
- Place desired amount in a bowl and roughly mash with a potato masher.
- Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour and more garlic powder and onion flakes to make mixture hold together. You can add more chopped spinach if desired
- Shape into burgers (it will still be a wet mixture) and place in a heated skillet coated with olive oil
- When done on one side, flip and continue to cook
- I like to crank up the heat and deglaze with a tiny bit of white wine. This gives it great flavor and a bit of a crunchy crust.
- Turn the burgers over again and repeat deglazing
- Serve hot!